- Our Meet & Greet/ECOM Welcome will take place over refreshments Fri September 13, 3:30-5:00 at the UCHI Seminar Room (Babbidge Library, 4th floor). Come hear recipients of the ECOM 2019 summer fellowships (Ryo, Ken, Aliyar, Eno, and Drew) tell about their summer projects.
- Reading group: We’ll be reading a recent book, Transparent Self-Knowledge (OUP, 2018) by Alex Byrne (MIT), We’ll be meeting on the following Thursdays 12:15-1:30 at the Philosophy seminar room, Manchester 227: Sept 5, 19; Oct 10, 24; Nov 7, 14. If you’d like to participate, please let Aliyar (email@example.com) know. Once we have a list of participants, Dorit will send participants summary notes on the book (prepared by ECOM research specialist Teresa Allen).
- Prof. Byrne will be an ECOM guest and will meet reading group members on Nov 15 over lunch. On Nov 15, 4 pm Prof. Byrne will also be giving a keynote talk opening ECOM’s Inaugural Graduate Conference “Kinds of Knowledge” Nov 15-16. Kristin Andrews (York) will give a second keynote talk on Saturday. See details at PhilEvents. We will need help selecting papers, hosting graduate student speakers, chairing sessions, etc. Please let us know if you’re available to help.
- This year we’re introducing a new series “ECOM SPOTLIGHT”, featuring ECOM faculty members who will present their current work to the ECOM community. This Fall, Prof. Emily Myers will give a talk on Thurs Oct 17, 12-1:30 Arjona 307, and Prof. Eiling Yee will give a talk on Thurs Dec 5, 12-1:30 Arjona 307.
- Also, please mark your calendars, May 13-15! We’ll have a major conference, Expression, Language, and Music (ELM) to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We now have the following invited speakers: Tecumseh Fitch (Biology, Vienna), Kathleen Higgins (Philosophy, Austin TX), Ray Jackendoff (Linguistics, Tufts), Jerrold Levinson (Philosophy, Maryland), Lisa Margulis (Music Cognition, Princeton), Isabelle Peretz (Psychology, Montreal), David Poeppel (Neuroscience, NYU), Ljiliana Progovac (Linguistics, Wayne State).
Month: September 2019
Ryo Tanaka Gave a Talk in Japan
Our member, Ryo Tanaka gave a talk at the 7th Nagoya Meta-Philosophy Workshop on August 9th in Japan, titled “Does Linguistic Understanding Require Knowledge of Meaning?”.