- February 16 (Friday)
- March 1 (Thursday)
- April 13 (Friday)
The ECOM Reading Group will be starting up again, with the first meeting this semester on Friday September 29 11AM-12:15PM in Manchester Hall 227. We will be reading two papers on mindreading for the first session: “The Cultural Evolution of Mindreading” and “Morality Without Mindreading.”
ECOM hosted a reading group on the topic of the Spring Conference: “Human and Nonhuman Animals: Minds and Morals.” We read Michael Tomasello’s new book A Natural history of Human Morality, followed by selections from some of the invited speakers from the spring conference.
ECOM hosted a reading group on Berwick and Chomsky’s Why Only Us: Language and Evolution.
ECOM hosted a reading group this fall on José Luis Bermúdez’s Thinking Without Words.
ECOM continued its co-hosted reading group with the Language Evolution Reading Group (LERG) on pointing, gesturing, and grammaticalization. Listed below are the readings from the semester:
- Martin, Santos – The Origins of Belief Representation: Monkeys Fail to Represent Others’ Beliefs Automatically
- Russell, Lyn, Schaeffer, Hopkins — The Role of Socio-Communicative Rearing Environments in the Development of Social and Physical Cognition in Apes and Pack, Herman — Dolphin Social Cognition and Joint Attention: Our Current Understanding
- Bard, Leavens – The Importance of Development for Comparative Primatology and Leavens – The Plight of the Sense-Making Ape
- Hopper, Closs Traugott – Grammaticalization
- Ackermann, Hage, Ziegler – Brain Mechanisms in Humans and Nonhuman Primates: An Evolutionary Perspective
ECOM co-hosted a reading group with the Language Evolution Reading Group (LERG) on pointing, gesturing and grammaticalization. Listed below are the readings from the semester:
- Camaioni — The Emergence of Intentional Communication in Ontogeny, Phylogeny, and Pathology
and Tomasello, Camaioni — A Comparison of the Gestural Communication of Apes and Human Infants
- Schlenker, et. al — Monkey Semantics: Two ‘Dialects’ of Campbell’s Monkey Alarm Calls
- Olney — Symbolic, Indexical, and Iconic Communication with Domestic Dogs
- Sparaci — Beyond The Point: A Basic Guide To Literature On Pointing Abilities In Children With Autism
- Meier, Lillo-Martin — The Points of Language
- Lurz, Kanet, Krachun — Animal Mindreading: A Defense of Optimistic Agnosticism and Krachun, Call, Tomasello — Can Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) Discriminate Appearance from Reality? and Heyes — Animal Mindreading: What’s the Problem? and Whiten — Humans are Not Alone in Computing How Others See the World
ECOM members read Huw Price’s Expressivism, Pragmatism and Representationalism.
- Gibbard’s — Meaning & Normativity and Thoughts & Norms
- Blackburn — Norms & Functions
- Millikan — Pusmi-Pullu Representations and Blackburn — Disentangling Disentangling