2. March 1 (Thursday)
3. April 13 (Friday)
The ECOM Reading Group will be starting up again, with the first meeting this semester on Friday September 29 11AM-12:15PM in Manchester Hall 227. We will be reading two papers on mindreading for the first session: “The Cultural Evolution of Mindreading” and “Morality Without Mindreading”.
ECOM hosted a reading group on the topic of the Spring Conference: “Human and Nonhuman Animals: Minds and Morals”. We read Michael Tomasello’s new book A Natural history of Human Morality, followed by selections from some of the invited speakers from the spring conference.
ECOM hosted a reading group on Berwick and Chomsky’s Why Only Us: Language and Evolution.
ECOM hosted a reading group this fall on José Luis Bermúdez’s Thinking Without Words.
ECOM continued its co-hosted reading group with the Language Evolution Reading Group (LERG) on pointing, gesturing and grammaticalization.Listed below are the readings from the semester:
- Martin, Santos – The Origins of Belief Representation: Monkeys Fail to Represent Others’ Beliefs Automatically
- Russell, Lyn, Schaeffer, Hopkins – The Role of Socio-Communicative Rearing Enviornments in the Development of Social and Physical Cognition in Apes
Pack, Herman – Dolphin Social Cognition and Joint Attention: Our Current Understanding
- Bard, Leavens – The Importance of Development for Comparative Primatology
Leavens – The Plight of the Sense-Making Ape
- Hopper, Closs Traugott – Grammaticalization
- Ackermann, Hage, Ziegler – Brain Mechanisms in Humans and Nonhuman Primates: An Evolutionary Perspective
ECOM co-hosted a reading group with the Language Evolution Reading Group (LERG) on pointing, gesturing and grammaticalization. Listed below are the readings from the semester:
- Camaioni – The Emergence of Intentional Communication in Ontogeny, Phylogeny, and Pathology
Tomasello, Camaioni – A Comparison of the Gestural Communication of Apes and Human Infants
- Schlenker, et. al. – Monkey Semantics: Two ‘Dialects’ of Campbell’s Monkey Alarm Calls
- Olney – Symbolic, Indexical, and Iconic Communication with Domestic Dogs
- Sparaci – Beyond The Point: A Basic Guide To Literature On Pointing Abilities In Children With Autism
- Meier, Lillo-Martin – The Points of Language
- Lurz, Kanet, Krachun – Animal Mindreading: A Defense of Optimistic Agnosticism
Krachun, Call, Tomasello – Can Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) Discriminate Appearance from Reality?
Heyes – Animal Mindreading: What’s the Problem?
Whiten – Humans are Not Alone in Computing How Others See the World
ECOM members read Huw Price’s Expressivism, Pragmatism and Representationalism.
- Gibbard- Meaning & Normativity
Gibbard – Thoughts & Norms
- Blackburn – Norms & Functions
- Millikan – Pusmi-Pullu Representations
Blackburn – Disentangling Disentangling